Sunday School @ 9am • Sunday Service @ 10am
August 29, 2021 Bulletin
By grace alone, through faith alone, because of Christ alone
Order of Worship
Preparation for Worship
Prelude and Silent Prayer
Introit ~ “Praise the Lord, Each Tribe and Nation”
* Hymn #521 ~ “My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less”
Welcome and Announcements
Adoration of God
Call to Worship: Psalm 29:1-2
* Hymn #123 ~ “God of Everlasting Glory”
Confession of Sin
* Reading of the Law: Deuteronomy 6:20-25
Assurance of Pardon
Affirmation of Faith: Westminster Shorter Catechism; Q&A 85-86
85. What does God require of us, that we may escape his wrath and curse, due to us for sin?
85. To escape the wrath and curse due to us for sin, God requires of us faith in our Lord Jesus Christ and repentance leading to life together with the diligent use of all the outward means by which Christ gives to us the benefits of redemption.
86. What is faith in Jesus Christ?
86. Faith in Jesus Christ is a saving grace by which we receive and rest upon him alone for salvation as he is freely offered to us in the gospel.
* Hymn ~ “How Awesome Is Your Name”
Means of Grace
Pastoral Prayer and Lord’s Prayer
Old Testament Reading: Jeremiah 2:9-13
New Testament Reading: Galatians 4:1-7
Sermon: “Beware of Worldly Wiseman” (Colossians 2:8-10)
Hymn #727 ~ “Lead Me, Lord, Lead Me in Thy Righteousness”
Response and Blessing
* Doxology to the tune of “For All the Saints” #358
Praise ye the Lord, His mighty works acclaim:
His years are endless, yet is He the same
O sing His praise, give glory to His holy name:
Alleluia, Alleluia. Amen
[* indicates to please stand]
“Beware of Worldly Wiseman” (Colossians 2:8-10)
II. Warning Against False Teaching
A. Don’t be taken captive
B. “Do not do v. 8 because of vv. 9-10”
III. Application and Conclusion
A. A lesson from “Pilgrim’s Progress”
B. “The Self is the creator of his own reality”
Today: Nursery for children birth through three during 10am worship. Nursery open for self-serve during 8am worship.
Today: The “Worship Training Room” (across from kitchen) is available for young families (livestream available).
Communication from us? Please fill out a pink card (on Information Table)
Today: Interested in helping to prepare meal for BEN? Meet after church
Today: SS rosters in FH; check to see your children/youth signed up
Today: MS and HS on American Lake; 3pm-7pm
Saturday, September 11: Men’s/Boys’ Breakfast; “Masculinity”; 8-9:30am
Adult Study: “Surprised by Suffering”, Sproul video; 5:45-8:45pm; (next 9/3)
Men’s Fireside Theology: Discussion of Sproul’s “Everyone’s a Theologian”; every other Friday (next 9/10); 7:30pm
Sept. 12: SS Kick-off, 9-9:45am; begin one worship service at 10am
Please: Food and drink limited to Fellowship Hall. Thank you.
Pantry: Food available for our families in kitchen
Next Week’s Sermon Text: Colossians 2:11-12